Thursday 9 April 2009

Message from an Aussie living in Taiwan





Until recently I thought I was the only Australian here at Wen Hua Elementary School. We have been visited by Roger from Stretton State College over the last year a number of times and more recently Michelle and Christian accompanied by 11 students have swelled the ranks of Ozzies.

I found their visit a life changing experience for a number of reasons.

Firstly, there is the gift of the ping pong balls (personally autographed) which have entered my class room culture and spawned a number of new games amongst them being the now famous ‘blow ball soccer penalty shoot out’.

Secondly, ‘rugby diving balloon popping find the Chinese word activity’, accompanied to the sound track of Shay and Kevin beat boxing, with myself strumming a guitar and the Stretton Sing along choir letting rip singing Chinese songs, for a local TV station. Let me say it’s been a great time had by all.

Thirdly, the volume cheer and enthusiasm which the Stretton gang put into all activities on offer has increased my energy for, and belief in, what we refer to as the Australian spirit. I can now confirm that the ‘Australian spirit’ is actually more real than myth after all. Good on you guys and gals it’s been great having your positive energy on tap. Thanks for all the help participating in EVERYTHING..

Sincerely Cheers Mate
Hamish Maynard Stokes

No comments:

Post a Comment